Friday, March 5, 2010

Please Pray for Sammie

Yesterday was the birthday of a dear lady in our church. We call her Sister Gerald. One of the ladies in the church thought it would be a great idea to take her out to eat. She does a lot for us at church, especially when we have potluck dinners. She pretty much cooks enough food to feed the whole church, literally. Last Fathers' Day she baked every father in the church their favorite cake and presented it to them on that Sunday!

We decided to take her to Dennys, and that is where we met Sammie. He was our waitor. He is a very likable fella', and did a great job. Well, one of the members of our church works there with him also and has been praying for him and witnessing to him. We were pretty much finished with our meals when Sammie came over. He knew we were from Ward's church so he decided to give us his testimony - umprompted. (You all know how it is, people know you are "religious" so when they are with you they put on thier "church" music, start praising the Lord, etc...)
His "testimony" went something like this...

Ladies I got a word to tell ya'll. Guess who I served in here the other day? Frankie Jenkins (I don't remember the fellows real name so I made this one up.)Ya'll know who Frankie is right? That man sure can sing!!! Well, one day, about 10 years ago, I was walking down the street. I was strung out on crack and I was begging for money so that I could buy some more. See, I used to pray all the time, "Lord, help me find a big ole' pile -a- crack, or help me to find a whole lotta money so I could buy me some crack. Well, I knocked on some man's door, and guess who it was? Mr. Frankie. He touched me on my shoulder, gave me a few dollars for picking up some trash, and I was on my way. It was the strangest thing, you see, Mr. Frankie healed me that day. He touched me with the hand of Jesus; and I know I was healed, because lo and behold one day I did find a big ole' bag of crack. Guess what I did with it? I threw it away! Isn't the Lord good?

To which we all replied, "Yes, He is!" Then I ask him (and I know it was the Lord, because I am not always this bold for Christ - to my shame.)

So, Mr. Sammie, when did you recieve the Lord as your personal Savior?

Well, young lady, my wife is a minister. Yeah, she preaches on t.v .every Thursday night....

We let him talk, then our pastor's wife ask him again if he was saved; but he never gave the right answer. The Bible says Jesus is the only way to heaven. (John 14:6) And salvation is by grace through faith (Eph. 2:8,9) Romans 10:9,10 spells out very simply how we can receive the Lord into our hearts. We gave him a tract and invited him to church. Please pray that one day he will visit; but more importantly that he will recieve Jesus.

Right now, Mr. Sammie is living in confusion; and based on his testimony - he is not saved. This is why I have a problem with those who claim they are in the healing business. Now, let me make it clear that I don't doubt and would never argue with this man about his experience; BUT many are trusting in an experience to get them to heaven, instead of in Christ. How much better would it have been if Mr. Frankie had shown Sammie how to know for sure he was going to heaven when he died, rather than touching him so he would no longer crave crack. I hear it time and time again while on visitation. "Do you know if you are saved?" Yes. "How?" Well, my mama's a preacher (We hear that A LOT her in NC) or, I was in a car accident and I didn't die; or, I pay my dues to the church every Sunday, even if I can't go, I send it with somebody else.

It doesn't matter if you used to be a pimp, and now you are a preacher; if you have never trusted Christ for salvation, you will not "see the kingdom of God" John 3:1-3, 16-18

1 comment:

Gail said...

SOOOOO TRUE! We get the same thing out on visitation. It is really sad what people think will take them to Heaven. I had the privilege to ask a young man at a funeral last week about his eternal destiny. We were interrupted by the funeral director right as I was starting to show him from a tract how he could know for sure. As we went out, I introduced him to our associate pastor, and he was able to lead him to the Lord. Isn't that wonderful! People who need the Lord are everywhere. I will pray for Sammie now. It's good to meet you. I enjoy your blog. Gail

Tween book list!

Hello friend! Thank you for sharing your time with me today! I have had several requests for what we will be/are currently reading. I often ...