Thursday, June 14, 2012

Sunflowers galore!

We really enjoy gardening!  I don't believe a day passes that we don't go out and just sit and admire what the Lord has allow us to grow.  This year we have already been enjoying some lettuce, radishes, zucchini, sweet corn, and a few herbs (chives and parsley) from our garden.  One thing - actually two - that we have been looking forward to is our sunflowers and zinnias blooming.  Here are a few pics.



This plant is about 7' tall.


This on is about 6' tall.




Zinnia in full boom.  I plant these to attract bees and butterflies.


Potted Gerbera Daisy

Me pulling weeds




This flower was cut off its plant by a cutworm, so I put it in a tea cup with some water and placed it on our dining room table.
My gardening tip would be to know your friends from your foes!  One of our foes this year is vine borers.  We have already lost one zucchini plant to these creatures.  Another is the cut worm.  I was prepared for them with our tomato and pepper plants; but not with our sunflowers.  We are still on the look out for the little culprit who has been cutting some of our sunflowers off our sunflower plants.  Helpful websites are here, here, and here.

Until next time,


2 comments:

raising4princesses said...

love the picture of you in your garden. very serene looking. miss you maria

Lissa said...

Beautiful flowers! Oh how I wish I had some sort of a resemblance of a green thumb... :o)

Tween book list!

Hello friend! Thank you for sharing your time with me today! I have had several requests for what we will be/are currently reading. I often ...