Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hair Care 101

Here is my official first hair care post.

Hair care in a nutshell - keep your hair clean and moisturized.  My staple products are Apple Cider vinegar (pictured on the left), Shea butter, and coconut oil.  Now, I should tell you that I have added a few things to my Shea butter to make it a little more effective; but I didn't start out with it as a mixture. 

Tip #1 - Do not use commercial shampoos if they contain Sodium Lauryl or Soduim Laureth.  Besides the fact that these things are proven to cause cancer, they are extremely drying!  They also make it necessary for you to use a follow up conditioner.  These two ingredients are used in everything from engine degreaser to toothpaste.  They are what give 99% of our cleaning agents today the "foaming" effect.  Well, it is not necessary to have foam/sudds to get clean. 

Instead, use a shampoo that does not contain these items and shampoo once a week or more.  Contrary to popular opinion, Black people can wash their hair more than once a month and still have beautiful hair left on their heads :). I recommend something like Burts Bees baby shampoo or Organix.  There are others; but I know that you can find these two at Walmart or Walgreens.

As I have previously stated; I wash with ACV for three weeks, then use a shampoo (or conditioner) once a month.  I just recently found a great conditioner at Trader Joes that has no harmful ingredients in it.  I now use it for myself and Aaliyah when I don't have time to make my own shampoo; or I feel that my hair needs to be conditioned (when I notice excessive knots).

For more information about ACV rinses and other benefits of apple cider, click  here.

Hope this helps!

Tinyla

P.S.  You can now read the introduction to my book on Facebook under My Notes.

No comments:

Tween book list!

Hello friend! Thank you for sharing your time with me today! I have had several requests for what we will be/are currently reading. I often ...