Friday, February 26, 2010

Save money - Make your own laundry soap!

I started using this recipe about a year and a half ago and I love it! The first time I used homemade laundry soap, it was a gift from a friend. It was liquid and included ingredients like Fels Naptha, baking soda, and Borax. It was ok; but I personally prefer powder and I am a fan of good smells. So I googled the subject and kept experimenting until I found one that I really liked. Here is my favorite recipe:

1 bar of pink ZOTE soap (found at my walmart by the starch)
4 cups of Borax (walmart)
2 cups of Super Washing Soda (***NOT Baking Soda) (my walmart stopped selling it, so I buy at Harris Teeter now)

1.) Cut the soap into four sections and grate with cheese grater.
2.) Dump grated soap into blender.
3.) Add Borax and washing soda to blender.
4.) Blend into powder - about 1 minute. (May have to blend half at a time)


Use 1 TBS in sm/med loads. 2 in lg. or extra soiled loads.
Cost: about $.02/load
1 Bar of soap = about 60 regular loads!
This will last me about 4 months.  Before then,  I usually only have to buy another bar of soap ($1.19) because my powder ingredients still have plenty left in them. Mix more up, and wash again for another four months or so.



You cannot substitute the Borax or Washing Soda; but if you can't find pink ZOTE, use Ivory or any 1 bar of soap -then use 1 cup of Borax and 1/2 cup of washing soda. May not keep your whites white, so add 1/4 c. white vinegar to rinse cycle (rinsing with hot water helps, but not essential with vinegar tip.)

Why I use what I use:

1. Trying to go as green as possible. - In most cases it saves you money!
2. I needed a soap that was gentle enough for my baby girl and dreft is too
expensive!
3. Pink ZOTE smells great, is cheap, great stain remover, and includes a whitener. Fels Naptha is all natural, but it doesn't smell as good so you may want to use a few drops of your favorite essential oil (ie. peppermint oil or orange oil). FN also doesn't keep your laundry as fresh as long as ZOTE does.
4. Borax is all natural and is a great deodorizer.
5. Washing Soda cuts grease and helps remove stains.

For stains (ie. ring around the collar) you may rub Zote or Naptha bar on stain, then wash or use my homemade Oxyclean recipe....coming soon!
Have Fun!!!

No comments:

Tween book list!

Hello friend! Thank you for sharing your time with me today! I have had several requests for what we will be/are currently reading. I often ...