Thursday, January 31, 2019

Life and Math

Hello Friends!
Let me begin this post by saying that I would never consider myself a math person.  I am sure that all of my former teachers would respond to that statement with a hearty AMEN! I would like to change that scenario for my children.  There is tremendous value in having a Mathematical Mindset.

Last semester I tried to focus on building our reading skills, memorization skills, and a love of language.
We are continuing some of that; but our focus for this "semester" is primarily on math.

The picture above has all of our math goals for these 5 months.  I have color coded them to match each level.  The primary reason for this wall of math is to remind me of what my goals are for them.  I have already noticed that I put aside the math book (as great as it is) more often and practice mastering a listed skill instead. Where did I get a list of skill sets? I looked in the front of our math books (our math curriculum of choice) and narrowed each level down to 10 basic skill sets. I purchased the bubble gum machine cutouts at the Dollar Tree, wrote the skills in a different color for each level on a blank sheet of printer paper; then cut and pasted them to the bubble gum machine cutouts.

One other thing we are doing more of is incorporating things that are mathematical in nature into our daily lives.  Last year I invested in Saxon's math manipulative kit for Kindergartners.  That bucket now has a special corner, along with some other math manipulatives that I have added to it,  for the kids to use to figure out a problem, or just to have fun doing mathematical things (ie...building beautiful tangram creations, weighing things on a scale, counting with counters, putting together puzzles, sudoku puzzle books, etc.)   I also have a place where they can build with Lego's and leave their creations out to add to, show off, and enjoy.

I believe we are, more than ever, enjoying math.  I can see some feelings of fear and intimidation being torn down.

What would I like for you to take away from this post?  What are some things we are doing to aid our journey to a mathematical mindset?


1.  I remember that, especially in math, I am NOT the answer key!!!  The kids may ask me a question, but I do not feel pressured to immediately give them an answer.  I encourage them to think and dig for themselves.  If I see them becoming too frustrated to come to a reasonable conclusion I may...
     A.)  Ask an older sibling to help them while I watch and listen in.
     B.)  Ask a question to lead them back to the correct path to their answer.
     C.) Work  the problem in front of them, and them have them work a very similar problem.
     D.)  Remind myself that I have time, take a deep breath as I pray, and say, "Let's come back to this tomorrow!
2.  I wrote on our Character wall the following statements:
     "I will not be afraid to try!"
     "I will not be afraid to fail, then try again!"
 
  It is important to learn to take educated risks.  In a classroom full of students who are eager to laugh at you if you make a mistake, it is sort of hard to not fear failure and risk taking; but in a class/home where you are surrounded by people who love you, encourage you to do your best,  and know that we will not move forward until you "get it" (and that if they laugh at you for failing they will be SEVERELY punished), it's a little easier to take risks...it might even be fun.

Do you have any special tips and tricks that encourage yourself, or your kids in math?  Please share!
If you agreed with, were challenged by, or liked any portion of this post, Please share!
blah, blah, blah...Please share!
Rayanna's updated pre-school corner



Coming soon...Teaching Gratitude.
Until Next Time,



No comments:

Tween book list!

Hello friend! Thank you for sharing your time with me today! I have had several requests for what we will be/are currently reading. I often ...