Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Confession 2 - Faking it!

I was recently talking to a lady and she made the comment that she just couldn't "fake" liking someone or something when she really didn't.  I thought to myself... "You better never become a pastor's wife. I sure have.  Sometimes in the ministry 'faking it' is a must."  Right after I said it (to myself) a still small voice said to me, "O really, think about that."  So I have been thinking about it for about a month now.  Do you know what the Lord said to me....'Faking it' is only necessary when I am in the flesh.  If I am "walking in the Spirit" I don't have to 'fake' anything...I can react or respond in every situation with boldness. 

Let me explain a little bit further what I am talking about.  Sometimes we encounter people who are just plain selfish, or moochers, or  dumb"simple", etc.  Sometimes you just want to "give it to them RAW"; but instead you smile and be sweet and help them, or promise to pray with them about a certain situation. I am not saying that I should always respond how I would like.  Sometimes it is right to keep quiet.  But it is important to BE REAL.  So often when we have been at this thing for a while we know what is expected of us so we do that; but that which we do is not what we wanted to do or what we had or felt in our heart and mind. 

Romans 7:14 - 25

 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Real live example

Recently we met with a couple who has been having a difficult time financially.  We explained to them about tithing (for the third time), talked with them about offerings and explained in detail about the importance of establishing and sticking to a budget.  They nodded their heads and when the conversation was over they handed us some money (Evidently they didn't get that a partial tithe is not a tithe; but at least they are making an effort) and seemed encouraged.  The next day they called and asked for a ride to the store and after that a ride to Burger King - where they spent almost 1/18th of their total month's income on one meal.  I wanted to refuse to taxi them and then give them a piece of my mind; but after some prayer, I decided instead to let them make their own decisions without my input. I had to go to the store anyway, and even though that fast food sure smelled good, I had chili cooking at home! These are professing Believers. I was reminded that some folks learn best from the school of hard knocks and the Holy Spirit is able and willing to help us when and if we allow Him. If they won't allow God to help them, what makes me think that anything I say will change them. Initially I slapped a fake smile on my face and demonstrated a fake willing spirit.  Then I whispered a little prayer of thanks for the work and grace of God manifested in my life and asked for Him to do a work in their lives as well.

There was a time when I was a new Christian that all I could to was take.  I simply had nothing to offer; but to grow in the Lord I needed a Bible.  Someone bought one for me.  I needed a ride to church.  I was bussed to and from church sometimes five times a week and all I could offer was a shallow thank you-if I said that.  I went to a Christian school for five years; my family may have paid 5% of the bill.  I did do some work scholarship; but I am sure it didn't cover what was lacking.  Some faithful college students paid my school bill for a while; but they couldn't support me forever.  Mooch. Guilty! Selfish. Guilty! Undeserving. Guilty!  I could go on. 

I hope this little post will encourage you to BE REAL.  Let the Lord work through you in the lives of others.  The world doesn't need any more phonies.

Galatians 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.


Until Next Time,

Coming soon..."So you want to win a bus kid?"



No comments:

Tween book list!

Hello friend! Thank you for sharing your time with me today! I have had several requests for what we will be/are currently reading. I often ...