>
That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.” - Titus 2:4,5
Saturday, August 8, 2026
Hello Friend!
What is rolling around in my head today? Music! As I prepare for another semester of piano lessons; I am considering what I will teach my students so that they will 1. want to continue lessons, 2. feel equipped and confident if asked to play in church, and 3. Enjoy playing music in their spare time at home. I am also considering the parents that have to listen to them while they practice! As one of the latter group, I try and chose songs and excercises that are pleasant to listen to, even in the beginning stages. While playing through one of my old piano lesson books, I was reminded why I don't use them. The songs were all unfamiliar and honestly very boring or silly. The foolishness that is bound in the heart of the child is not encouraged by scripture. I am not saying that fun is to be excluded; but being silly and non-sensical is not the only way for little people to have fun.
I prefer to use songs in our lessons that are somewhat familiar to the children- songs that they have heard, or may hear often in their natural environment. Nursery rhyme songs, Sunday School songs, classic hymns and several familiar classical pieces.
I was once asked by a piano teacher, "What do you do when a student wants to play a piece that they are not ready for?". My solution is to search for a simplified version of it and offer that to them and advance as far as they are willing to go. Sometimes their attention span, talent, interest, and work ethic will allow them to advance to the original piece, sometimes it won't. Either way, we try it.
Another thing that I consider when planning is how I see my own children advancing in thier musical ability. What are my methods producing? While listening to my children play piano at home, I often notice how well they remember how to play former pieces, play songs by ear, and invent new songs. They each often play around on the piano and have fun making their own songs. They aren't afraid to hear a tune and try to play it themselves. I see this as a strength in the way that they are being taught. Our weakness, of course, is sight reading. While they are learing to sight read, they often remember so well what I have modeled for them, that I have to watch that I don't show them too much.
My daughter, Aaliyah, played a portion of Revolutionary Etude by Chopin at her final recital. She loves that song and wanted to play it; but I refused to learn it and teach it to her. Her solution: learn it on her own. She did a great job and still plays it often just for fun. I did make her learn most of Beethovan's Fifth Prelude and scrutenized her heavily on playing it acurately according to her sheet music. Notice that I said her "final" recital. She will be continuing her piano studies; but not with me. She exhibits talent that I don't feel qualified to develop further.
This semester is our fall semester and we usually have our recital just before Christmas. Naturally, we play a number of Christmas songs at the recital. This year will be no different; but I also want each student to play a hymn. I have chosen twelve hymns that I want each of my students to be able to play at their level. I have chosen my favorite hymns that are often sung in our church.
In closing, I want to ask you, what hymns would make it to your favorites list? What song do you love and have always wanted to learn to play - on the piano or otherwise?
Until next time,
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hello Friend! What is rolling around in my head today? Music! As I prepare for another semester of piano lessons; I am considering what I ...
-
Announcing my first Giveaway!!! I have been wanting to do this for a long time; but (as I do so often) I have been waiting until...
-
It is hard for me to believe too! Yes, I am not the mother of three children...and one of them is a boy. While I had about six months t...
-
Hello friend! Thank you for sharing your time with me today! I have had several requests for what we will be/are currently reading. I often ...
No comments:
Post a Comment